Friday, April 15, 2011

5 1/2 Interesting Facts About the Hospital...

After nearly a week in the hospital, I have a few observations.

-1 The care was excellent. I was amazed at the compassion of both nurses and doctors, something I never saw before. Kudos to the staff! And during my ER visit over the weekend, my little one got a nose bleed while I was having an EKG - one of the nurses stepped right in. It was sort of like a 2-For-1 deal.

-2 The lack of showers was a shock. I am not too good without a shower! It was a glorious first stop the day I got home! I am trying to imagine why?

-3 Drugs, drugs and more drugs. They have drugs to fix this and that, and drugs to counteract the side-effects of the other drugs. I had 13 different ones during my visit, and I still have 7 I am taking on a daily basis. I am grateful for medicine, but my head is still spinning over the amount that one person needs to get well. But if I had to pick a favorite...

-4 Tape!  I had 3 IVs and nearly a dozen heart monitoring pads as well as a dressing on the incision in near my hip. All I can say is this: there is money, big money in tape that does not rip off your body hair.

-5 Dignity - there was pretty much none. Covering my privates with a 3-inch neon orange cloth was not comforting - well unless it was meant to save me from some other disaster.

- 5 1/2 Sleep - it was no where to be found.

7 comments:

Matt @ The Church of No People said...

Yeah you can pretty well leave your dignity at the door even with small procedures! I loved going to the clinic last time to get an xray and getting to walk down the hall in one of those hospital nightgowns. I asked the girl who was attending me if I was wearing the gown correctly, because I didn't want to look stupid in front of everyone. :)

David-FireAndGrace said...

Well, the nurse said they had a "no show" policy. Some days I am not aware of my surroundings, and was at a point where I didn't really care.

Fentyanyl takes away the stupidity factor!

BTW - I don't think there is a correct way to wear a johnny, there is always something malfunctioning.

Tony C said...

Okay. I laughed out loud...but I won't admit at which part.

My heart cath incision was in the groin. What gives?

photogr said...

All I can say was this was hilarious.

Charlie's Church of Christ said...

did you get to enjoy all of the wonders that daytime TV has to offer?

David-FireAndGrace said...

@Tony - there are woman that read this blog!

@Larry - thanks!

@Charlie - I despise TV for the most part. I had my iPod and listened to a load of music. Of course I read C3 and TCoNP. I watched the news a little, but it was so divided over the budget, it was too much.

Tracy said...

Glad you're home.

Thanks for giving us a laugh from your experience.

I've truly always wondered why hospitals won't let you sleep!

Related Posts with Thumbnails