Tuesday, August 23, 2011

If a picture is worth a 1000 words, how much is video worth?

Written by guest blogger and fellow Kingdom Blogger, Joyce Lighari.


When I preach or teach, I like to use video to emphasize my message.  It can be really effect!  I love doing it.  I’ve had classes on this stuff in school so I know I’m not alone.  I read a good book on preaching that talked about the use of video.  In fact, this is so popular there is a website for preachers/teachers to go to for appropriate video clips.  If you want to use video, here is a good place to start.  Or of course, there is always YouTube

Sometimes God speaks to me first and then I find the movie. Other times, I am watching a movie and the inspiration comes.

A time when God spoke to me first happened just a few weeks ago. 

A number of years ago, when I first started to preach, I preached a message about horses, Run with the Horses, taken from Zechariah 10:3b

…For the LORD Almighty will care for his flock, the people of Judah, and make them like a proud horse in battle.
When I got ready to live on campus this summer, I was nervous. I asked the Lord for verse of scripture. He directed me to Jeremiah 12:5:

"If you have raced with people on foot and they have worn you out, how can you compete with horses? If you stumble in safe country, how will you manage in the thickets by the Jordan?

That sermon, run with the horses came to mind… Since then, in the last few weeks, I’ve preached that sermon again. These times I preached it with video clips from Secretariat. Here are two that I’ve used.




I love that line about stoking the fire. I told my daughter, that’ll preach. And it did!

However, the movie that probably spoke to me the most is The Lord of the Rings Trilogy:

Stand your ground, stand your ground! Sons of Gondor, of Rohan, my brothers! I see in your eyes, the same fear that would take the heart of me. A day may come, when the courage of men fails, when we forsake our friends, and break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day. An hour of wolves, and shattered shields when the age of men comes crashing down! But it is not this day! This day we fight! For all that you hold dear, on this good earth, I bit you stand, men of the west!


Yes, Stand and Fight!  

3 comments:

David-FireAndGrace said...

Great message my friend!

I never saw that movie, but I might soon!

Tracy said...

I remember that line from The Lord of the Rings; it stirred me also when I heard it.

I also really appreciate it when pastors/teachers use video clips well. It can really make a point come alive.

Tracy said...

I remember that line from The Lord of the Rings; it stirred me also when I heard it.

I also really appreciate it when pastors/teachers use video clips well. It can really make a point come alive.

Related Posts with Thumbnails