Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Team Edward

Written by Guest Blogger and Kingdom Blogger teammate, Andrea York.

I’m going to tell you a secret...I’m a closet twi-hard and I’m very excited about the new movie, Breaking Dawn, coming out in November. For the second movie, New Moon, I went on opening night – I took my friend’s 12 year-old daughter because that would have been weird and pathetically sad, otherwise. I’ve been fascinated with vampires since Anne Rice’s Interview with a Vampire. Let me clarify – I’m fascinated by what it reveals about the author’s theology. Aside from Anne and Stephenie’s vampires; I stay away from the R-rated HBO series, True Blood, or CW network’s, The Vampire Diaries.

Stephenie Meyer is a Mormon (not the fundamentalist, sister wives kind). Mormons are known for their good family morals and fresh-faced missionaries.  They are great to have as neighbours but their belief system is based on good deeds, rather than the saving grace of Jesus Christ. Similar to Anne Rice, her predecessor who worked out her theology through her vampire characters, I believe Stephenie Meyer is working out her theology through her characters. 

We are eternally damned. It’s fact. We are all eternally damned because we have all sinned. The response to our dismal-looking eternity is varied and several of the characters offer a different perspective.

Shift the blame
Edward Cullen became a vampire because of someone else’s decision. His *father*, Carlisle made a decision to *save* him from dying from influenza by making him immortal. Blame shifting is as old as creation. We are sinners, period. Blame shifting does nothing other than justify our sin and create a moody, bitter person. 

Don’t acknowledge the problem
Edward spends centuries mulling over his eternity, but others such as his love interest, Bella remain unconcerned. She even goes so far as to say she doesn’t believe it anyway. She is consumed only with the moment. 

Redemption is our own responsibility
Edward desperately is seeking redemption. By his own admission, he is a monster. But he doesn’t want to be. His motive is pure but his execution will always come up short. He’s even willing to lay down his own life to save another, Bella – his love interest. Sadly, even then he will remain condemned.

Supernatural abilities belong to the darkness, not the light
All vampires sparkle like diamonds in the light. Alice can see the future. Edward has knowledge. Jasper can alter moods. Bella is a shield. These are kingdom truths and gifts given to us by the Holy Spirit through Jesus Christ and yet in the Twilight books/movies, they are given to vampires, the immortal super beings and the human is left without any defense.   

Stephenie’s characters are looking for truth but never finding because truth is Jesus Christ. The Twilight books and movies are indicative of a culture that seeks spirituality but deny its power (which is the Holy Spirit). I learn about mindset and worldviews when I see and read things that are different than my own. And that’s why I like the Twilight series. :)

What movies/TV shows speak to you about theology?

My name is Andrea York and I want to be a trophy wife. Every Wednesday, I join David and the other Kingdom Bloggers on Wednesday for a weekly commentary of various topics and I write regularly about kingdom living on my own blog, Write Down the Revelation.

10 comments:

David-FireAndGrace said...

Very insightful... and scary how you are able to see so deeply into a character... that is a gift.

Awesome!

Andrea York said...

I have to spiritualize my watching Twilight somehow. :)

Joyce Lighari said...

I've never gotten into Twilight. I know lots of people who have -you've maybe peaked my interest... when I get finished writing a dissertation, maybe :)
Love the trophy wife comment. A worthy goal

arnyslight said...

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Not you david!!!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOO
LOL....

Jeff said...

What movies/TV shows speak to you about theology?

Recently the various Star Trek series? / serieses? / seri? / stories came available on Netflix instant streaming. We're watching "Voyager" as a family. They don't do it on purpose, but their folly is shown when their evolution / humanistic world views get them into trouble, again. While I wouldn't recommend watching and critiquing Star Trek as a substitute for family devotions...

Andrea York said...

@Jeff, maybe not as a substitute for family devotions but it's so important to teach our kids to be critical thinkers.

We will always be bombarded by media and if we can learn and teach our kids to pick out truth and lies in everything we see or read (based on Scripture), we will not be as easily swayed by false teaching because we've learned to discern.

moonchild11 said...

Although i must admit that I detest Twilight, I really like your perspective. Harry Potter has been the series in which I have found the most connections to my spirituality (see here: http://moonchild11.wordpress.com/2011/07/15/how-harry-potter-saved-my-faith/).

That, or Stephen King's The Stand.

It's amazing how human creations can give us a glimpse of our creator! :)

Andrea York said...

@Sarah, it's true about the Creator.

I haven't seen any of the Harry Potter movies. Funny, I don't have a problem with the vampires but I got scared with the first movie because of the evil characters. I'm actually quite sensitive to "scary" things.

Thanks for commenting.

Tracy said...

Ok Andrea I'm officially a fan of yours; anyone who says they want to be a trophy wife, well, that's just too funny!

The Twilight book series came out when my youngest two sons were in middle school and all the girls and moms were talking about them at the book fair so I checked the first one out of the library. I thought it did a great job of reading like middle school girls think and found the story line interesting but it was a bit too emo for me to enjoy reading. But when I found the books on CD at the library I was delighted and found listening to them a great way to make the time more pleasurable when I was cooking, cleaning, or commuting to work. I thought the movies were pretty good too. I also, thought about a lot of the spiritual aspects that you bring out here.

Mesha said...

I'm a twi-hard now too after catching up a year ago when a friend of mine similarly explained her reasoning of loving them and what can be learned from it's fictional story-line. I was absolutely against it before because I assumed the stance of my evangelical Church that it involves vampires which clearly are not of the light and it propogates evil so I don't wanna touch it. When I watched, I not only enjoyed the movies, like enough to be a preachin' fan, lol, but also duly noted the fact of the morals throughout and lack of OVER stimulating sensuality. The stigma around it has moreso come from the lust-filled viewers than what is actually found in the movie because as a young lady who fights the very real and present battle of lust-filled romanticism, it didn't stir me. It's where the girls choose to take it and the media and posters and such and hollywood because I've seen worse on local TV in that area. SO yes, I love your review and I cannot wait to watch either. :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails