Monday, April 13, 2009

What's Your Carbon Footprint? - How Are you Impacting Your Environment?

Did you know that cows are one of the major causes of greenhouse gases? That's right, Bovine Betty and her band of flatualating Guernsies, appear to be a significant cause of common greenhouse gases in the Earth's atmosphere. There are others including water vapor, carbon dioxide, methane, nitrous oxide, ozone, and chlorofluorocarbons. I didn't want to bore you with the chemical symbols for each of them. (My wife will be amazed at my restraint.) Amazingly, according to the experts (you know an "ex," something that used to be, and "spurt;" a fast moving drip.), the earth has supposedly been around for millions of years, weathered an ice age we are certain of, and an asteroid hit, that we are not certain of. Amazing, don' t you think?

I don't know about you, but I am very concerned about the impending Ice Age those pot smoking scientists told us all about in junior high school. By now I thought we be living in equatorial igloos somewhere on the shores of the Caribbean. In my minds eye I was planning harpoon trips for polar bears in the upper Amazon. But nope, I was wrong... I mean they were wrong, I just believed them. Amazing.

Speaking of stories, you should have heard the ones were heard about the Titanic in 4th grade. These tales about that mean old, nasty ice berg that tore her open from stem to stern. As it turns out, once they got a sub down there, they found a few broken rivets, but the damage, was nothing like what the experts predicted we'd find.

Well, this whole thing with global warming was amusing until the presidency starting allocating bajillions of dollars to the cause. I am not laughing. But I do ponder the abstract math problem for which we would determine how many college degrees one needs until they become a fast moving drip.

Of greater concern, is that amount of garbage we toss into the air and water on any given moment. I'd like to see something done about that! I'd like to see us get off foreign oil for safety's sake. I'd like to see the government stay out of the banking and car business. But most of all, I'd like to give Al Gore a carbon footprint, mine, size 13.

If we can somehow calculate carbon credits, then I am assuming that we have some baseline metric for assessing the impact of our use of fossil fuels and the size of our cow herds have on the environment. In the same fashion, we should be able to calculate the impact on the same environment that we make for Jesus. There will always be fruit from the hand of God. Here are some stats for you.

US Population: 303,824,640
US Abortions: 760,000 per year. Source
US Murders: 20,000 per year. Source
US Rape: 90,000 per year. Source
US Divorce Rates: 8,028,000 per year. Source

What's more shocking is that since prayer was taken out of school, most crime indexes have doubled. Take a look HERE and see for your self. Some have dropped off since there peak in the 90's-- while prison populations have soared.

If you're like me (and my wife hope's that your not-- at least as far as personality goes), you may have had enough. I am concerned that we've doubled the US national deficit in less than 100 days, and there doesn't seem to be an end in sight. I don't care who's side your on, that can't be God. Maybe tomorrow you'll write your reps or attend a TEA party.

Even if you don't dabble in political things, maybe tomorrow you'll reduce the statistics by loving your neighbor, or better yet, your enemy.

No comments:

Blog Archive