Saturday, June 20, 2009

Stand Up - Laughing a Little

I like to laugh-- it's one of the things I enjoy about my wife, Mary Anne-- she makes me laugh. Laughter is the music of the soul -- even if mine is heavy metal sometimes.

I just received the details of a class reunion that I am looking forward to attending in July. A gal that I used to yak with in homeroom is going to be doing stand-up at one of the events. I'm looking forward to a few laughs and some "clean comedy." I was reading her bio - sounds like a fun job. She converted to Judaism and was formerly a protestant -- one who puts tarter sauce on gefilte fish. Me, I'd like to become a stand-up comic, all I need now some material.

I don't know about you, but what I find funny is a unique perspective on the ordinary. I love things that little kids say-- it's insight into their world. Here's a favorite "Dear God, Please send me a pony. I never asked for anything before, You can look it up." My own daughters offer a wealth of insight-- My now 21-year-old had this thought some years ago. "It should be error and trial, Dad. I didn't know that I was going have to do it again, until I made a mistake."

I used to think that education was important, and I am sure of it now. In 2002 my daughter was scheduled to go to the Mall of America in Minnesota for February vacation. I asked if she was looking forward to going. She looked at me almost in tears. "It's not near Iraq is it?"

And the 5-year-old has wisdom beyond her years. During one of our more cuddly moments she said, "I know a pony is too big for the kitchen, so a little puppy would be OK."

I know it's not politically correct, but stereotypes crack me up! The differences between men and women -- fodder for some funny stuff. I know, there are those of you that hate to be put in a "box. " Well, tell me how many woman that you know who shop for cars in terms of horsepower and not color? How many women do you know that buy electronic gadgets and save the boxes AND the styrofoam?

Laughing is not always easy-- there is so much pain in life. And just because Nancy Grace thinks the chicken crossed the road because HE WAS GUILTY, doesn't make your life free of pain. In some sad way, we can be overrun with fear, guilt, grief and other emotions that cause us to be depressed. I still chuckle when I think of Ron White talking about an engine going out on a small twin-engine passenger plane. The man next to him screams, and he glibly says, "he must have had something to live for."

Maybe there is a way to bring the laughter back-- here a few of my favorites:

- You might be a preacher if you find yourself counting heads at a sporting event.

- A sign at church: For those of you who have children and don't know it, we have a nursery downstairs.

- Don't let worry kill you - let the church help.

- I hope the presence I am sensing is demonic because if it’s you, you’re in serious trouble.

- Matthew 11:30 For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.

And for an in depth understanding of how God works at lightening the load, and encouraging us click HERE

3 comments:

photogr said...

Scientific study has revealed that laughter does help in relieving stress and illnesses.

It is odd that Doctors fail to prescribe humor to combat illnesses.

Karen said...

This is so GREAT! I love it. I chuckled the whole way through. Thanks for the reminder to laugh. It's the little things that mean so much. Remember this laughter quote... "He who laughs, lasts."
I'm going to add more later. This is so good!
Karen

TeVeT said...

"I hope the presence I am sensing is demonic because if it’s you, you’re in serious trouble." Great line. I will definitely use that.

Before I pray for people for healing, I tell them about Smith Wigglesworth and how he would punch and slap the sickness in the name of Jesus. Then as I am clenching my fist or cracking my knuckles I tell them "Ooooh boy, guess what I see on you and what Holy Spirit is leading me to do?"

Blog Archive