Friday, August 19, 2011

It's the Truth - Grace

I am eventually going to be teaching at the The School of Grace. It is an awesome opportunity, and a good chance for me to dig into my own understanding of grace. This is one area where I have relied on the teaching of others, and now it is time to go deeper. Even if I don't actually teach on this, grace is part of the freedom I possess by faith.

I don't like to get too Bible about all this, but this is the central truth of the message of grace, and about who we are in Christ.

1 Corinthians 16 Therefore from now on we recognize no one according to the flesh; even though we have known Christ according to the flesh, yet now we know Him in this way no longer. 17 Therefore if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creature; the old things passed away; behold, new things have come. 18 Now all these things are from God, who reconciled us to Himself through Christ and gave us the ministry of reconciliation, 19 namely, that God was in Christ reconciling the world to Himself, not counting their trespasses against them.

The Spirit of God in us, which has sealed us for the day of redemption, which has regenerated us, the very one that raised Christ from the dead; who is alive (the Spirit that miraculously co-mingles with ours when we came through the door of faith) is the new man!

If we can simply grasp the very fact that our spirit-man is Christ, that he is seen by God as completely perfect and completely glorious, then we will begin to see how this truth not only set us free, but it sets us free from the law of sin and death!

The Good News of Jesus Christ is not eternal salvation, but that by faith He comes to dwell in us in his fullness  capturing our soul and creating a new man (or woman) that has all the qualities of Christ; for which there are many!

For many years I have been taught 2 things which are suspect. 1) That somehow my sin nature affects my spirit man, and 2) that there just might be something that I need to do to make my relationship with Christ better.

As it turns out, both are untrue. My regenerated spirit man (new man) has everything that the Kingdom has to offer - the inheritance of the riches of Christ. From the moment I was born again, every bit of Christ was manifest in me. My natural body may not have been aware of it all, but that doesn't make it untrue.

The work of the cross - salvation - is complete, and there is nothing that I can do to add anything to it. Nothing!

What is holding us back? Releasing the new (spirit) man by a conscious choice so we may connect with the good works for which we were created to do by faith. This becomes easier from spending relational time (not religious time) with the our Father.

What do you think, is the work of Jesus Christ complete? Tell us what hinders you?

3 comments:

Char said...

I'm thinking it is still the same old dying to self issue. But there's great revelation in this view of what that really means. We do, as born again Christians, have a perfect Spirit living within the confines of our flesh: Our new man, but letting the new man out means dying to self and flesh still, doesn't it? We want the benefits of the glorious supernatural power living within us (to benefit ourselves and others; glorifying Jesus Christ most importantly). In accomplishing this, the spending more time with our Father often equals dying to selfish desires/ rescheduling how we spend our free time, exercising His fruit of self-control. Letting the new man out to do great things in and thru us, again, often means dying to fear of man/rejection, pride and that giving of our time to His purposes. There's a host of fleshly prisons for the new man!Maybe it's fear of the unknown for us or what He'll ask us to do, maybe it's laziness. Sometimes I feel lazy, or depressed, afraid, anxious, tired or run down; again, dying to self. That perfect Spirit within will rejuvenate us if He asks us to do something, but, though rewarding, it isn't always easy. He never said it would be. Letting the new man out has actually been a painful experience for me many times, but though I often step back into my safe little comforable box for a breather/rest in Him (as we should I guess.. but then the battle is condmenation, arrrgg. LOL), I'm not giving up! :-) On the other side of the battle, with Christ, always lies glorious victory!!!

Anonymous said...

Haha, had an after thought; much simpler - Letting out the new man is as easy as saying "Yes, Lord". Two little words that ain't for wimps! ;-) *Off to work*

photogr said...

I don't think the work of Jesus is complete as He still has to come again in the rapture, lead others to salvation, and pass final judgement.

What hinders me? I think I personally hinder my self from really opening up in the baptism of the Holy Spirit. Still have to much legalism getting in the way.

Blog Archive