Friday, January 26, 2007

Musings...

Today has been hectic for me... Wow, the finish to an endless week of quotidian events. I had breakfast with a friend of mine, someone that I am getting to know. Relationship is an interesting thing... it just takes time. Well maybe not in the movies, but in real life it does. I am learning that it just takes a long time to build something of value. I am looking forward to more of it.

As I approach 50 (I still have a few years left.), I am actually starting to think about growing old. I think the song lyrics that say something about "growing old together." I prefer the songs about romantic relationships... I am hoping to grow old with my wife... as long as I stay here on earth. I was also thinking about what I have not accomplished... hoping for a fresh start again... but I have had a number of those. You feel better for a little while.

Tomorrow I am planning on playing a little guitar, writing my Portuguese dialog paper, spending some time with my little one, getting together with a friend from church and having coffee with my wife before Charlotte is awake. It is a peaceful life and the lack of chaos is refreshing.

I think about all the things in life left to do. With one in college, one in high school and one in pre-school, there are graduations to be at, parent-teacher conferences to attend, driving lessons, the first day of kindergarten and possibly a wedding or three... grand children... That is what looks likely with three daughters. My wife and I have plans for Valentines Day and some friends are coming to visit for dinner next weekend. We have passes to the museum that we are hoping to use. Then there are the dreams... travel to San Antonio, Iceland, South Africa, Egypt and the Caribbean; again! We sure would love to own a hot tub! My wife and I would be happy to live on a farm with horses, but we don't see how. She wants to take care of them, Charlotte will want to ride them and I want to look at them.

Life is amazing when you think about the possibility that in the same way there is something, there could be nothing at all. Where is the end of the universe anyway? What's on the other side? Really. With so much apparently left in life for me... well unless today is the last day, what's next? Hmm.. my biopsy came back benign.

Have you ever thought about how many hours you have sat at traffic lights, slept... or how many pounds of red meat you ate... how many pounds of dust you have inhaled in a lifetime? How many keystrokes have I made on the computer since May of 1994? Wow!

It makes me ask what is my measure in life? What is success, money, friends, work, successful children, being good at what I do, staying married while so many get divorced... I am not really sure a lot of the time what real success is. What is my legacy; my epitaph? This following verse is truth, but I need to make it real in my life. How?

1 Corinthians 3:11 For no other foundation can anyone lay than that which is laid, which is Jesus Christ. 12 Now if anyone builds on this foundation with gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, straw, 13 each one's work will become clear; for the Day will declare it, because it will be revealed by fire; and the fire will test each one's work, of what sort it is. 14 If anyone's work which he has built on it endures, he will receive a reward. 15 If anyone's work is burned, he will suffer loss; but he himself will be saved, yet so as through fire.

Now I wonder what are the works that are precious to God, and will that fit with what I want in life; the dreams that I have? I have some more musing to do. Sleep, now that's looking pretty good now too.

No comments:

Blog Archive