Monday, January 8, 2007

Supernatural - Braggin' 'bout Jesus

Writing this blog is a lot fun because I get to brag about Jesus. I really enjoy looking at times in my life where the work of God is undeniable. Sure I have my doubts at times. I am like Thomas; I want to see it now. Even Thomas was there when Jesus raised Lazarus from the dead. You would think that he didn't need too much else in terms of evidence. I think he and I are alike in this way; we want to see the Lord all the time, not just once in a while. I don't think that Thomas doubted the existence of the Lord. I think He was concerned that Jesus would be there for him right now, next week and the week after working miracles. It is a sign of immaturity, the need to have a parent close at all times. I can be like this with God. I am sure that it was especially hard after the crucifixion, which was a horrendous ordeal for all that were close to Lord.

After years of being a Christian I had allowed a great distance to come between me and the Lord. I was just busy with life, kids and work. My older brother had suggested that I get to a conference not far from my house. It was a very exciting few days of meetings. I remember walking in during worship and feeling completely and utterly sinful. The conviction was so intense that I found the first open seat and got on my knees. This was not guilt, not bad feelings, not anything emotional at all. I just felt the weight of sin in me. I spent a little time asking the Lord to forgive me. The preacher came on and spoke for hours about different topics... I cold only think of Paul preaching all night. The meeting ended with an altar call and people got saved, and others were healed. It was a very rich meeting.

The next morning I was off to my little Baptist church where I was scheduled to take care of the kids in the nursery. I remember trying to keep the door open so I could here the worship. I was so hungry for more of Jesus that I even took some of the toddlers up the hall so I could listen. When I went back, there were diapers to be changed, lessons in sharing to be given and kids that needed other types of attention. I was starting to resent that I was in there doing such unspiritual work. I had hoped to hear the sermon over the speaker in ceiling, but it was crackling and cutting out... besides the kids were just too noisy for anyone to concentrate.

Later, I was sitting in a toddler-size chair holding one of the babies that was crying when, all of a sudden, there was a lull in the noise. I heard that pastor praying at the end of the service asking for God to increase someone's faith today. I remember the feeling of a warm waterfall splashing down on me. Parents came to pick up their children and when I was finished, I walked into that sanctuary. As I walked toward the altar to say hello to a few friends, a woman that I know came towards me and said that the Lord had placed me on her heart during the closing prayer. She handed me a roll of $50 bills.

I guess it would suffice to say that receiving money in a time of need would be enough. But here is the rest of the story. I worked at a photography studio during that season of my life. I wasn't making all that much money and I was supporting a family of four. The week earlier my car went in for a routine state inspection and failed; it would need $1,300 worth of repairs. When they called with the estimate, I decided to call them back after praying. I asked a co-worker to pray with me. When I was done, I felt that I should approve the repairs even though I had $13 dollars in my checking account. My co-worker said, "Either you have faith, or you are crazy." The car was in the shop for 2 days, and when Friday came around I only had my $320 paycheck. I was embarrassed answering the phone and said that I couldn't get it until Monday. On Sunday the woman gave me almost a thousand dollars. I was short about $100 dollars when I went to get the car. The man at the counter just let it go because we had purchased the car there.

This amazing Jesus, now that is something to brag about.

1 comment:

superB said...

Sigining in, joining in, surfing up to the crest of the wave. Looking forward to lots of great sharing.

Blog Archive