Sunday, September 20, 2009

Where Does God Live?

Yesterday I took a day trip to the White Mountains of NH. It is an easy day trip from where I live; just outside Boston. When I am there, time seems to stand still. Even a few hours walking in the shadow of the mountains and listening to the babbling brook was amazingly refreshing. It's a place where I get to leave the real world behind; traffic, work and bills -- gone! For a time I can focus on the scenic beauty and God's glorious creation.

Romans 1:18-21 “For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes, His eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly seen, being understood through what has been made, so that they are without excuse.”

Each one of us finds different places where we go to find solace in a God that is bigger than we are. An added bonus was the companionship of my 18-year-old daughter. She is a good traveler as she also enjoyed some quiet time as we drank in the next scene; rounding corners on the Kancamagus Highway, enjoying the sunshine pouring in the sun roof.

I have been fortunate to travel to 42 states and 13 countries. In my travels I visited 32 national parks, seashores and monuments. For me, I feel close to God where I see the beauty of creation. Sure, there are other times -- but for a guy who spends 9 hours a day in an office without windows, getting out and seeing scenery other than the suburban sprawl and the brake-lights in front of me, is refreshing.

It was interesting to walk by the river, stand at the foot of the mountains as I mediated on what is was like for Adam to walk with God in the cool of the day.

My ride home was relaxing as the warmth of sun, the sound of Tim Hughes and Jeremy Camp surrounded me-- chocolate bar in hand -- chauffeured by my daughter. The Kingdom really is at hand.

2 comments:

photogr said...

Only in Nature, And it is there that you will find the wonders of what God created in His love for all.

Tony C said...

I've got to get back up that way! People in the South have a very skewed vision of what New England is like (and vice-versa I'm sure). The drive from Boston to Bangor is amazing.

Cherish the times my friend...they grow up way too fast.

Blog Archive