Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Purple Heart - A Veteran's Honor

Today is Veterans day. Most of us have never seen war - I know I haven't. I would venture that most don't know what today is about - the Armistice that ended WW I in the 11th hour, of the 11th day of the 11th month. It's been going on since 1919 and the name was changed in 1954 - all probably before you were born - or at least remember.

My grandfather on my mother's side, born in Ireland in 1888, came to the USA and served in WW I. He also chased Pancho Villa are around the Mexican border in 1916. This day was to honor his efforts, and later, to honor the efforts of all US military veterans. He received a Purple Heart - I actually can't remember how the story goes - but his injury affected his hearing.

My father also served his country in both the European and South Pacific theaters during WW II and the Korean War conflict. He received 2 Purple Hearts for injuries sustained fighting for my freedom and yours.

How I wish I had a better understanding of their sacrifice while they were alive.

No one likes war, regardless of the rhetoric. It is, however; a fact, that war has made America free. From the Revolutionary War to the battlefields of New York City, Afghanistan and Iraq, brave men and woman have laid down their lives for you; for your freedom of religion, your freedom of speech and your pursuit of happiness.

Next time you watch the opening scenes of Saving Private Ryan, or the firefights in the Platoon, remember freedom, it's not free.

It is unimaginable what some of our veterans have gone through. For those that have survived the violence and given their lives in sacrifice, we salute you this day. Better yet, send an email, make a call or visit the VA.

2 Chronicles 20:15 (b) This is what the LORD says to you: 'Do not be afraid or discouraged because of this vast army. For the battle is not yours, but God's.

2 comments:

Tony C said...

Most combat vets don't talk about their experience. My guess is there is absolutely nothing for someone who has never faced combat to relate.

I had the honor of serving with a MOH awardee during my active duty. He was quite a character and someone I respected greatly. He didn't talk about it though.

Happy Veterans Day David and thanks for your service.

photogr said...

I recall the war stories my Dad used to tell me about his tour in the Burma campaign in WW2 flying C47s. In a way I think it was therapy to be able to tell those stories over and over again. I always do pull a story out of my memory in honor to Him every year and to pay tribute to other veterans.

Blog Archive