Friday, December 11, 2009

Heart Sick

Today, for my coffee break I decided to click through the NEXT BLOG link on the Blogspot interface - yup, it's right up there. I believe that it is intended to join random blogs by topic. I have actually found some good blogs that way - you can see a list of some of them down yonder on the lower right.

I have also found a lot blogs that didn't really catch my attention - denominational clones and religious blather that, well, I am tired of hearing. I also saw a lot of judgement and defenses for liberal (read that non-biblical Christianity). Personally, I want to hear something fresh! I am looking for some rhema, or at least some satire that gets me from one end of my coffee break to the next.

Over the years I have come across lots of sites and blogs that pound Christians into the ground - some deserve it. Today I came across a blog site which posts mug shots of clergy, pastors, youth pastors, choir leaders and Sunday school teachers that have been arrested; mostly for sexual offenses. Some were from the To Catch a Predator TV series with Chris Hanson.

I have to say it made me sick. Here are the very folks that are supposed to be offering eternal hope, and yet they are too sick to function as ambassadors of Christ.
Yes, I know, we are all sinners. Hopefully we are saved by grace, and are in a church where we grow, confess our sins on to another, and be healed.

It made me think of the calling of Levi (Matthew) where the religious folks, who in this case, are also not right with God, point out that Jesus is eating with sinners.

Mark 2:15 While Jesus was having dinner at Levi's house, many tax collectors and "sinners" were eating with him and his disciples, for there were many who followed him. 16 When the teachers of the law who were Pharisees saw him eating with the "sinners" and tax collectors, they asked his disciples: "Why does he eat with tax collectors and 'sinners'?"

17 On hearing this, Jesus said to them, "It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick. I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners."

It makes simply ask the question following questions: What are we doing as a church? How do these people get in leadership (not to mention BTK!) and stay there until they fail?

What are we, the church, going to do about it? I'd like to know your thoughts.

1 comment:

photogr said...

I personally feel they should be fired or excommunicated from their positions permanently. What they did is a crime and defiled their leadership position and trust.This is a sin that only God can Judge. Not man.

On the other hand, most Christians say we should forgive them and give them another chance. I can't agree to that. Guess I am not a most Christian person.

On the good blogs to the right, I only saw yours.

Blog Archive