Sunday, January 3, 2010

Morning Brew - New Year - New Vision

Like many, I skipped the New Year's stuff. I still have a couple of days off before I go back to work which I plan on using to try to get some momentum towards a couple of personal goals. As a guy, I live my life in compartments which are not always related. I have work, family, church, music and writing - well those are the things that take up most of my time.

Christians often talk about balance in life. You know, getting our priorities in order: God, spouse, kids, work, church and free time. I know that as our little one has grown older, and we actually found a babysitter that wants to make money, my wife and I get more date nights and time together. My new job, for which I am grateful to have, costs me 2 to 3 hours more of my time each day. There are those compartments again. Something had to give, so I pretty much have given up playing guitar; although this vacation I have played a lot.

I don't think there is a formula for balancing your life. Whatever you schedule seems to be attacked by some other need. It always feel like we are stuffing 10 lbs of potatoes in a 5 lb sack. Honestly, it is a little too complex for me - and I am a project manager! I'd like my schedule to be on auto-pilot

I previously have worked hard to keep my priorities, but like so many other things that I thought could control, life happens. When I think about my "perfect" life, it always includes my family and Jesus. At the moment, they are the only ones that I can count on.

There are lots of things that I would like to do. I love to play guitar, and I am actually toying with the idea of playing in a country band. Why not? I have done blues, rock, jazz and classical. I like hot tubs, and enjoy travel and mission trips.

The next couple of days I am going to see if I can make some sort of inroad to add a little fun to my 7:00 am to 6:00 pm routine.

In the final analysis, I don't believe balance is really what God is after. I think that He is after relationship, and if our time belongs to Him, then He will set seasons in our lives for His purposes. Some days it is a honeymoon, others it is working the fields, and others it is a mountain top or walking in the desert - even the valley of death is in the hand of God.

Ecclesiastes 3:1 There is an appointed time for everything. And there is a time for every event under heaven--

Until things change, I am going to praying this prayer. Or, until I change.

2 comments:

photogr said...

How do I reply to this? Yes we all have compartments. I would think it depends on how we categorize them in our priorities.

The only thing I regret is it took me so many years to realize what my priorities should have been all my life ( God leading the way). Now I am trying to stuff 10lbs. of potatoes in a 5lb. bag and time is running out.

My top ten priorities for 2010 is serving God times ten.

David said...

Thanks, Larry. You go for it, and when you get tired of serving Him, He'll renew your strength.

Blog Archive