Thursday, February 18, 2010

The Good Wife - Not Just for Married Folks

This year The Good Wife has been airing on CBS. It is about a Chicago prosecutor that ended up in jail for a number of indiscretions; for which we are not entirely sure actually happened. It's an interesting show, a mix of CSI and Law & Order, with a personal story line. Each week a legal case is solved, and the struggle of the Florrick' over these said infidelities, plays out in small vignettes.

The Bible has a lot to say about wives, but a well known favorite is in Proverbs 31. "A wife of noble character who can find?"

The Proverbs passage is acrostic, each verse beginning with a successive letter of the Hebrew alphabet. I also happen to think that it is about the church more than it is about an actual wife. Substitute the word "church" for the word "wife" and see if it makes sense to you.

Back to the subject of wives. I have a great one that I met through Yahoo Personals. Thank God it used to free or who knows where I'd be today! She is really the best thing that ever happened to me other than making a decision for Christ. There is no one that I'd rather be with and no one else that makes me feel the way I do.

I really have it made. She brings me coffee in bed just about every morning and makes a breakfast sandwich for my lunch on weekdays. She manages our finances with professional expertise. Not to mention all the other stuff that matters to me, like she's good looking, a great mom to Charlotte, she let's me have time to unwind each day and some guy time too.

I like to walk with her on the beach, along the Charles River and especially in Nantucket.

She likes dinners out, animals; horses and dogs in particular, Stephen King novels, Country music and time with Charlotte. I wish I could buy her a horse farm near the ocean - well one with a hot tub.
Sometimes it is hard to notice the benefits when you are 8 years into a relationship and other parts of your life are difficult. But she is funny, faithful, reads my blog because I asked her to, she cares about how the house looks, works at keeping a peaceful home life and basically makes me happy to be at home. I can only say that wasn't always the case in my life.

How about you? Feel like braggin' on your spouse a little if you have one. If not, brag on your church, it's kinda the same thing.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you enjoy Fire & Grace, why not Tweet it, add it to your Facebook links (links in the right side bar) or email it to a friend (Envelope icon below)? Thanks for reading along. David

7 comments:

Tony C said...

You nailed it brother! If you can put your priorities of importance in the biblical ranking of God first, then wife, children, everyone else before you...life is a whole lot simplier and rewarding.

After a bad marriage, I never thought I'd marry again. What was the point? But God had other plans for me, and I'm so thankful He did!

To quote an overused phrase...my wife completes me...period. She has changed my life in so many ways for the better. I'm even more in love with her after seven years because today I understand what Jesus meant when He stated His relationship with the church is like marriage between a man and a woman.

Joyce Lighari said...

I've been "The Good Wife" - it isn't easy but marriage is worth every effort you put in to it...

Joyce Lighari said...

I've been "The Good Wife." Marriage is worth all the effort you put into it.

photogr said...

"I really have it made. She brings me coffee in bed just about every morning and makes a breakfast sandwich for my lunch on weekdays"

She sure has you spoiled. Yep wives are like that.

My wife. After 2 years of courtship and 45 years of marriage, I think I have finally figured her out.

We both share our love for God. We are the best of friends and lovers. We both share quiet walks on the beach together when we are in Florida. She looks after me and I look after her. In my book, She is a saint for putting up with me.

eaglegirl said...

I can say that I have "The Good Husband". Paul has stuck with me through thick and thin the past 33 years.
The past 15 years my chronic illnesses have been getting worse. He is still so good to me and understanding. He takes me to the many doctor appointments I have and is understanding that I am not always up to making dinner.
I know it has caused changes in both our lives, but like the vows say 'for better or worse'.
I am a blessed woman of God.

eaglegirl said...

I can say that I have "The Good Husband". Paul has stuck with me through thick and thin the past 33 years.
The past 15 years my chronic illnesses have been getting worse. He is till so good to me and understanding. He takes me to the many doctor appointments I have and is understanding that I am not always up to making dinner.
I know it has caused changes in both our lives, but like the vows say 'for better or worse'.
I am a blessed woman of God.

Mesha said...

Weeelll...I don't have a spouse...my can I brag on my GOD! Jesus has always been faithful to me even when I've been faithless. Every day I wake up He offers me new mercies and grace for my insufficiencies. He comforts, protects, provides and ENJOYS to be with me morning, noon and night. I hope that one day God blesses me with a life partner, a husband - my spouse - to spend my life with. Loving Jesus together and exalting His name. Laughing, talking, crying, hugging, understanding, learning and listening - together. A man who will "wash me with the word," and guard over my heart. But more than what he can be "to me," one I can honor, support, love, respect and offer all my trust. One I ENJOY serving because my love for him runs so deep. One I like to brag on a bit because he always makes me proud. One who I never look to seeing what I can "get" from him, but what I can GIVE or ADD to him to build his life...wow...

Blog Archive