Saturday, April 10, 2010

Take Note - And Listen to a Few Too

Growing up I was forming my musical tastes. My influences came from my family, and then those that I had as friends. In Kindergarten Mrs. Gannon would play all the kids tunes on the piano. Bingo, If You're Happy and You Know It and of course Happy Birthday. One of the girls in class brought in a 45 rpm of the Beatles, I Want to Hold Your Hand - I liked it.

In first grade my teacher, Miss Carol, who wore Go-Go boots, played guitar (and probably smoked pot - but I don't know) and we sang folk tunes, Puff the Magic Dragon, If I Had Hammer, and Michael Row Your Boat Ashore.

At home my dad listened to the radio - stuff like Winchester Cathedral and tunes by *GAK* Lawrence Welk, Tommy Dorsey and Al Hirt. On the other end of the house my brother played Bubble Gum music including: The Archies, 1910 Fruit Gum Company and of course the Monkees. As his musical tastes evolved he turned to pop by the McCoys, Status Quo and other chart toppers of the 60's. Everyone had a transistor radio playing the sounds of British Invasion bands: The Beatles, The Who, The Rolling Stones and later Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin.. Then Woodstock happened and the music scene exploded with CSN & Y, Richie Havens, Joe Cocker and Jimi Hendrix - and everyone knew the fish cheer, even if we weren't allowed to use the word.

I was listening, and of course building a repertoire of favorites. I became a fan of everything with a cool electric guitar. I liked everything from Cream to Deep Purple. One day my friend Dennis and I went out an bought an electric guitar, and then an acoustic and then a classical. Then I was off to music school where I studied classical, jazz and modern guitar styles. I played in a rock band.

My life changed when I met Jesus. Of course I started to listen to Christian music. Different songs affect me different ways and here are a few of my favorites to play on guitar or listen to any time

How about you, do you have some favorite tunes that minister to you?.

Set Me On Fire - Burn Service


Happy Day - Tim Hughes


You Never Let Go - Matt Redman

1 comment:

photogr said...

Ah the good old tunes. Growing up, I found Elvis songs, Frankie Valie, The Beach Boys,Paul Anka,Duane Eddy, Percy sldege, The temptations and to mention local bands from home (Clayton Ivey and Charles Dickens).

As I grew up in the hippie era I found free bird, Nights in White Satin, Beatles songs, the Doors, Santana, Peter Frampton, Pink Floyd, Mammas and the Pappas, and the list goes on.

Then came Jazz with the likes of Wes Montgomery, Dave Grushin, B.B. King, and Kial Winding.

Classicals from composers Bethoven, Prokofeif, Chiakovsky, Bach, and Sebulis.

Today I find the collection of Kari Jobe songs, All that I am, Mighty to save, and others to soothe my soul.

Blog Archive