Friday, July 16, 2010
5 Excuses for Preaching Too Long
I have noticed that in our church culture (a nice way of saying religious Pharisees) preachers some times run on a little bit. On occasion, God is done, and they are not. So here are five signs that they know this is true, but are in denial.
- "In closing" Why don't they just say, I am not done yet, I have more to say, and those who want to, can leave now. Here's why. If they did, it would sound like a commercial toilet flushing as folks headed for the door. Mary Anne and I usually close our eyes because we know there are going to be 4 or 5 closings.
- "Paul preached all night" Yes, and he was beaten, stoned, shipwrecked and imprisioned - I am not seeing the comparison.
- "Can you give a few more minutes?" I already did and you wasted them on some stupid illustration about a frog in a bucket of water.
- "I'm under the anointing." I asked God and he said it was NyQuil.
- "You come to church once a week, and I need to fit this in." Yes, and this is the reason I only come once.
I apologize for my sarcasm. I actually have a reader that likes my blog better when I am not so caustic - I am hoping that they'll see the humor in it.
I have been enjoying church much more than the previous few years. We've had prophecy, healing, teaching on deliverance, great worship, a cool communion time and some of the other regular church stuff.
How about you, are you engaging God on Sunday morning?