Friday, October 8, 2010

5 1/2 Passion - It's Not Just a Fruit, Or Maybe it Is

Matt over at The Church of No People asked us what were passionate about on his blog. Matt he's passionate about drinking - drinking water for those that don't have it. Me, I am passionate about different things at different times. Just look at my topic list on lower right - I write about a lot of stuff.

As usual, Matt got me to thinking, where does passion come from, why do I have it for some things and not for others? And then, I thought, what would I be so passionate about that I'd be willing to lose my life, or put my family and friends behind me for? Those are tough questions. If you are like me, you want to be blessed by gaining something, not losing something that is important - especially our lives.

Our world offers a lot of conveniences. We can easily take them for granted. If you don't think so, listen to the neighbors next time the power goes out for a few hours - hey, I am sure as a Christian you'll be just fine. ;) I was thinking what life would be like without a cell phone, which; is basically a handheld computer?

The expectation of something can be faith, or entitlement. As Christians we can expect to have both. We must have faith in that which is unseen. And we are entitled to the benefits of the Kingdom of God for all eternity.

So, what's all this have to do with passion? Everything! The very things that we enjoy, the very causes we care about, the very essence of our being is designed by God. Sure there are fleshly desires, and then there are the God given desires of our heart.

Passion is the embodiment of pursuing a personal destiny in Jesus by the Spirit. It is well beyond just doing the rules or trying to be good; that is the flesh. The Spirit if God however; calls the deepest part of our soul to be in communion with His. Understanding that relationship is true passion.

Here are the building blocks of passion:

-1 Freedom: The Bible says that the truth will set us free. What truth are they talking about? Confessing our sins, being literalists about describing events, what? A lot of Christians talk about the freedom of grace, but Jesus said freedom is in keeping His teachings. And what were they to be free of? The religion of the Pharisees. We must get free of religion that keeps us from obeying Jesus! Then we can enjoy grace.

John 8:31 To the Jews who had believed him, Jesus said, "If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples. 32 Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free."

Even Paul was once zealous for the law of his fathers. Freedom is the ability to connect with God regardless of what others are doing.

Freedom is the doorway to passion.

-2 Love: There is a lot of talk about how Jesus would love mankind - he'd take from the rich and give to the poor - oh right that's Robin Hood.

The very shallow love that is often shown in even church is sometimes a joke. Real love changes the hearts of our neighbors and enemies.

Love is the power of passion. Without love we can only zealous.

Romans 12:20 On the contrary: "If your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him something to drink. In doing this, you will heap burning coals on his head."

-3 Faith: Faith is not belief. There are lots of folks that believe all kinds of things about the Kingdom of God, Jesus, the Holy Spirit, Heaven and Hell etc. Faith is not belief. Faith beleives that God speaks to us, we can hear Him, and tht He hears us.

Faith in the unseen is the fuel of our passion. Without faith we will be without passion.

-4 Holiness: Sin sperates us from God. Even Christians sin. Every sin, regardless of whether you are saved or not, has consequences. The more we allow ourselves the freedom to sin, to live in a state of unholiness, and are cut off confessing our sins, the harder it becomes to be sensitive to the Spirit.

Sin reduces our ability to be passionate.

-5 Uniqueness: God has counted the very hairs on our heads, He has knit us in our mother's womb and knew us from the foundations of the earth. We are created in His image - He delights in who we are.

Our personality, the burdens we feel for others, and the sum total of our redeemed brokenness allows us to be who God has destined us.

Uniqueness is the vehicle of our passion; the very expression and essence of Jesus.

-5 1/2 Destiny...

5 comments:

photogr said...

"Sin reduces our ability to be passionate."

This I have to agree with you when it refers to God.

You can also sin and be passionate about other things when it does not pertain to God though.
Been there and done that before so I can see both sides of the fence.

I wonder how many would lay down their lives for Jesus. None of his disciples did before His death. Most fled in fear. Only when they were baptised by the Holy Spirit did they indeed lay down their lives for Jesus and His teachings.

Faith. How many of us do have the true faith that Jesus speaks of? That is the 10 million dollar ( inflation) question.

If we trully had that kind of faith in God, we could move mountains, heal the aflicted, perform miracles, give prophesy, and raise the dead, but I don't think God wants too many mortal men to have those powers. The reason is obvious. Only the select few are granted His grace for those powers.

Am I passionate about my faith? Yes I am but I am also a realist and realize my many sinful short commings prevents me those gifts from God because He knows me all too well.

David-FireAndGrace said...

@Larry - I think that a lot more folks could have gifts if they wanted them. The Bible say you can ALL prophesy.

photogr said...

David:

Yes I do desire the gifts but I question if I am worthy of such honor.

That is true to a point. Prophesy in our times I believe has been rather silent based on Revelations 21: ( 18-21) as far as hearing from God as the prophets did in biblical times.

However I do believe that God speaks to some today with prophesies more so on a personal level as encouragement rather than predicting what will happen for those that rebel or continue to sin (example: Ezekiel).

I have experienced this to a degree in knowing about a person before they speak, sensing some ones destiny, and sensing when one is seeking salvation. Perhaps it is a word from God enabling me to minister on these people or He is bringing them to me for help.

It is rather surprising and un settling when this does happen. Naturally I do what I can to serve Him and those that come to me.

Still I ask my self, why me of all people.

David-FireAndGrace said...

@ Larry - no one is good enough, or spiritual enough to be given spiritual gifts.

The prophetic gifts - "the knowingness" you experience is the same God.

If you'd stop telling yourself "God can't use me like ______," he might do it more. :o)

photogr said...

David:

That is a possibility but at the same time, each experience for some reason leaves me deeply troubled and at the same time, elated that I was chosen to witness to other people.

I can only pray that He leads me in choosing the right words to say.

Blog Archive