Friday, January 28, 2011

God is Good! Really? I Hope So!

I have a friend who's infant daughter spent 4 days in the hospital. HERE is the story. I checked in with him each day by text or phone, and prayed too. She's home and doing great! PTL! I am sure it was scary.

Healing, and good results come from a good God.

What happens when things don't go so good? What happens when folks get sick and die? Is God good then? It's a tough question. Not to mention that serious illness is tough to watch, and worse to have.

I have another friend that was diagnosed with cancer. I have been praying for him, as well as testing or calling just about every day for most of the past year. I have done it before. I hate cancer!

It was painful news to hear that the doctor recommended Hospice Care.

I have been a Christian professing healing for 35 years. I have seen God do it, and he has used me a few times along the way too. I purposely wrote about the dead being raised on Wednesday to challenge the faith of my readers for the "big one."

When things are looking tough, where is our hope? Obamacare, doctors, hospitals, vitamins, supplements, and exercise? Don't worry, I am asking me the same question. And I am trying to unravel a passage like this...

Romans 5:3 Not only so, but we also glory in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; 4 perseverance, character; and character, hope. 5 And hope does not put us to shame, because God’s love has been poured out into our hearts through the Holy Spirit, who has been given to us.

I once read in a book about some 3rd century monks that lived on an island off the coast of England. I believe the original account came from a man named Plutarch. (It is always interesting how nonbelievers perceive believers throughout history). In any case, the monks had such a close relationship with God and such a great faith that He would revel the time of their death; they called it an ascension. It was something they looked forward to. They would often go and wait upon the Lord to be taken up as they sang hymns and encouraged each other. (1 Cor 14)

I often wonder what hope Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego had when the King tossed them in the fiery furnace? (Daniel 3:1-30) What were they thinking, what was going on in their hearts?

Not having been face with death recently, I don't really know what I would be thinking, feeling or doing.

Romans 8:24 For in this hope we were saved. But hope that is seen is no hope at all. Who hopes for what they already have?

Tell me about the hope that you have.

2 comments:

Andrea York said...

David, your posts usually give me a lot to think about.

Lately every time I hear someone say, "God is good," I am compelled to say, "All the time, he is good."

More and more, I understand Paul when he said, "To live is Christ and to die is gain." I am so hungry for God's presence that I desire more of Him more than watching my 9-year old son grow up or seeing my unbelieving husband come to faith. Don't get me wrong, I'm looking for a terminal disease and I'm not going to run my car into a tree.

My mission is to share the hope of glory with others who are discouraged because of their long-suffering. I also believe and pray for the ministry of healing and until they take their last breath, I believe that God is able.

photogr said...

My hope?

Being inquisitive, I look forward to God showing his miraculous powers for all to see in the coming times.

Naturally, I hope to be let into the Kingdom of God but I don't feel worthy of such an honor. Perhaps He will have mercy on my sinful soul and let me in. All I can do is pray and repent of my sins.

Blog Archive