Monday, February 7, 2011

Power Brokers

Have you thought about why you go to to church, why we have services on Sunday morning and stuff like that? I don't know about you, but when I go to church, I just want the good stuff. I want worship that is so good, you don't even need to know the words. I want preaching that not only sounds good, or sounds like my Jesus, but it changes me. I want fellowship where I feel close enough to my brothers and sisters to confess my sins, and be myself. I want to see God heal the sick, give encouraging prophesies to his people, and enjoy His presence.

Friday night I have been teaching a class - maybe you have caught it online. For the first few weeks, as exciting as it was, it was mostly the transfer of godly information. That is not entirely the case, but it certainly wasn't all the "good stuff." I don't really know why, but I keep praying, keep caring, keep studying, and keep showing up - hoping for the good stuff. It is starting to happen.

I was teaching about Philip the Evangelist. Did you know that he was the one that Jesus turned to, and said hey, there are 5,00 men and their families out there, here are two puny fish and a few loaves of bread - go for it! It might have made Letterman smile, but Philip was at the crossroads of faith. We all know how that story turned out. (John 6)

I continued to teach on the things that Philip did, like when he baptized the Ethiopian and was suddenly in Azotus (Acts 8). According to Google Maps, it is 48 minutes by car on a paved highway. Philip was probably on foot or donkey.

Acts 8:39 When they came up out of the water, the Spirit of the Lord suddenly took Philip away, and the eunuch did not see him again, but went on his way rejoicing. 40 Philip, however, appeared at Azotus and traveled about, preaching the gospel in all the towns until he reached Caesarea.

Hmm... Jesus had long since been crucified and ascended into heaven. How did this happen?

Did you know that immediately following the death of Jesus on the cross that many of the saints came out of their tombs and walked about the city? It's true.

Matthew 27:53 They came out of the tombs after Jesus’ resurrection and went into the holy city and appeared to many people.


I suppose the case of poor Doubting Thomas is the worst lack of faith in the whole bunch; he only got to see Jesus raise Lazarus from the dead. (John 11:16 and 11:43)

Do you see where we are going? Our walk with God is a supernatural one, and it should reflect his power.

1 Corinthians 4:20 For the kingdom of God is not a matter of talk but of power.


If we have faith, then God will be at work in supernatural ways, as well as supercharging your natural abilities.

Are you a power broker?

1 comment:

photogr said...

Not yet, but I will let you know when it happens.

Blog Archive