Saturday, March 5, 2011

Conversion Stories: Congregational Church to Charismatic Episcopalian

On Friday, to my surprise, my questionnaire on conversion was featured on Oh Me of Little Faith, a blog written by Jason Boyett. His focus was on folks that switch religions, or make substantial changes within Christianity. One of his blogs was about a senior pastor that dropped out of church altogether. Another was from a Southern Baptist that converted to Mormonism. Those are some dramatic changes. What I found interesting were the reasons that each one gave for dumping their church.

Below is an except, and HERE is a link to the full blog. Be sure to leave a comment for Jason!

Congregational Church to Charismatic Episcopalian

Please describe the conversion experience or process:
I had received Christ a few years earlier. It was genuine, and real. Truthfully, I didn't really know what to do with my conversion. I was glad I had it, and I was growing in the word, but it was more like spiritual jewelry.
There I sat across from Father Folsom at his desk in the Spring of '82. I had my NIV Bible and the book, 9 o'Clock in the Morning in my lap. We exchanged the standard greetings. I told him how I had met the Lord a few years before, and how I gotten sober in AA. I couldn't wait to put the book on his desk; at the first opening I did.

"What do you think of this?" I said, half hoping he would tell me it was hogwash, and at the same time being excited that maybe all that supernatural stuff: tongues, prophecy, healing and hearing from God would be true.

He said slowly and cautiously, "I think it is for today's church."

I had a million questions, but all I could blurt out was "Really!"

"Yes." he said.

Before I could think of another question, he asked me, "Is this something that you would like to experience?"

"Yeah!" I said in an excited but very controlled Anglican way.

"Let's go to the altar and pray." he motioned as he got up from his desk.


HERE is the back story if you missed it on Kingdom Bloggers.

2 comments:

Charlie's Church of Christ said...

such a rock star!

I was quite surprised when I started reading the opening lines of the blog, I was thinking "this sounds like David!"

photogr said...

David:

It is encouraging to read of your experiences. Trully God has chosen and blessed you with the Holy Spirit for a greater purpose.

Sadly, I haven't experienced much as you described lately but I think I am looking in the wrong places.

However, in my youth when I used to attend the tent revivals in Brownsville, Florida near my home, I did experience the miraculous happenings during those revivals.

Oh how I miss those experiences but I do have the memories. Perhaps some day I will find what I am loking for.

Blog Archive